.

February 23, 2010

Computer Traffic Cop

Or at least that’s what I feel like sometimes. Some days I fail at it.

You see, I write on three different computers. Back in the day (when I was taking notes in classes and writing books at the same time) I wrote longhand on yellow legal paper. But then I found that I was loathe to transcribe the longhand notes. So I started writing on my home computer which is great for me when I’m home but I like to hammer away on a pc in the library and at work too. I have a great store of abandoned yellow legal pads. As a consequence, I write a snippet on the work machine, a snippet on the netbook I carry to the library and pretty soon I’ve got snippets up the wazoo without any sense of organization.

That has lead me to try a new organization process. The home PC is definitive. The netbook gets downloaded to the home book as soon as I get home via thumb drive. The work horse gets up loaded to my Yahoo email and then downloaded to the home book. And sometimes I lose all sense of direction and download and upload everything in the wrong direction.

Sigh.

1 comment:

  1. I feel your pain. I write on my computer, my work computer, and sometimes my sister's computer... I e-mail myself what I've written, and as a result get far more emails from myself than I do from anyone else! (Sadly, I still write snippets on paper from time to time, too. I believe they are all lost in the Room of Requirement at Hogwarts, because I never see them again...)

    ReplyDelete