.

March 21, 2014

Falling off...a few times

Writer's Relief today asks:  "What is the hardest part of the writing process for you? Planning, writing, editing, researching journals/agents, submitting your work, dealing with rejection, etc.?

So I thought I'd use this as a writing prompt and discover what really is the hardest part for me. 

When I was still riding horses, the showing was a bit of a trial but in the end I loved it.  I loved being around horses, trail riding, practicing at home.  The only part the bothered me was the potential for




falling off.

Planning: I don't plan ahead.  I write organically. So no to planning
Editing:  I do one or two pass throughs when I am done.  So no to planning.
Researching: Researching the details of time place and life of the time are FUN!  So no to research.
Submitting your work, dealing with rejection:    Self-publishing is the cure for this so I don't have to deal with it!

But there is one final item.  The Facebook question used the word "writing" but I will break it down into to two things:

Imagining the story:  Good to go here.  I don't start writing until the characters start talking to me and then I am just the moving hand that writs on paper.
Actually writing:  Sigh.  This is where I fall off.  The place where "fail" is the operative word.  For no matter how many of my characters are talking to me, no matter how many stories are flying around my relatively empty head, getting it all down on paper is like falling off a horse. The professionals say you have to do it a few times to be a professional.  Certainly you can't be a professional writer without actually having written something. 

I've made it over the hurdle three times now.  It doesn't make it any easier, but to hold that book in my hands is priceless, as the advertisement goes.

Do you have something that you do that is part of your reason for being but is also your most daunting task?

No comments:

Post a Comment