.

September 6, 2010

Yiddish and thought processes

Spent the afternoon consulting a Yiddish dictionary and the Episcopal Hymnal (1982).  A writer's life.  Two thousand words some of which are not English. 

It is interesting, as you get deeper and deeper into a book, to examine your thought processes .   When I first get an idea it is all intellectual.  The questions are related to who is my protagonist and what is her motivation.  Then, unbidden, a character will begin to talk to me.  Sometimes it is the protagonist who is speaking.  Sometimes it is the person I think is the protagonist but who eventually takes a back seat. [In In Between Goodbyes Ian was supposed to be my protagonist but Hope took over].  Sometimes it is just the dog.

Suddenly, in a rush the narrative and the dialogue all come tumbling out.  People overtalk each other.  Characters explain their motivation.  Then, for a while it is all silence, as if someone yelled "Cut."  I can't get anyone to talk.  But that is necessary for people and narrative to straighten itself out.  I get antsy.

Today everyone started talking at once.  I was compelled to sit and type about Rome, about spiritual directors, about a tiny world that was shaping itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment