.

February 27, 2009

I ain’t gonna get rich this way…

I know. I’m not Stephen King or J. K. Rowling. And, to be truthful, I have never had any expectations that I would be a great author (that’s with a capital GA). Rather, I’ve always wanted to write. A professionally printed book is the icing on the cake. My friends purchasing my book, or discussing it, or using it to take out the trash, is swell.
Have I set my expectations too low? I don’t really think so. In the past few months I have read several books about marketing self-pubs. They advocate aggressive marketing techniques using web sites and viral social networking outlets on the internet. Well frankly, if I did all that they suggested I would spend 18 hours a day 7 days a week on social networking for my book at a royalty rate so far of about $80 per month that’s pretty low pay. I could probably do better (and actually have done better) begging on the street with a bowl. How about an article on book marketing for introvert authors who have to work at a non-writerly job for a living? (There’s a Borsch Circuit joke in there somewhere).
So here’s my list so far for marketing:
Amazon.com
Blog with lots of tags
Consider a commercial web site.
Keep writing, perhaps the next book will be published by a company that wants to market it.

No comments:

Post a Comment